The Top 3 Reasons You Should Be Prioritizing Your Dental Health

Dentist in coral gables

Do you want to have a beautiful smile? Are you embarrassed by your smile right now? Do you wish they were whiter or straighter? If so, you should pay a visit to your dentist. You can get professional teeth whitening done, a referral to an orthodontist, and the thorough inspection and cleaning that you should be getting twice a year. Over 80% of people said they saw a noticeable difference after they got their teeth whitened professionally by dentists and according to a study done in 2015 by the American Dental Association, over 90% of Floridians say that regular dental appointments help keep them healthy. Taking care of your dental health can also help improve your overall health, boost your self-confidence, and make you feel more attractive. So what are good dental practices you can implement? What are positive health and social benefits of taking care of your teeth?

Get to the Root of the Problem
Globally, between 60-90% of children who are school-age and almost 100% of adults have cavities and almost three-quarters of Americans have some kind of periodontal disease. Furthermore, almost three-quarters of adults feel that an unattractive smile can have a negative impact their success in their career. And one in four American adults won’t smile because of the way their mouth and teeth look.

On the other hand, most people would agree that a person’s smile is the physical feature that stays most attractive as someone ages and that a nice smile can make someone look more attractive. So with all that emphasis on the way our teeth look and given so much concern, why don’t we visit our dentist every six months like we’re supposed to? Why aren’t we prioritizing our dental health?

What are Good Dental Practices That We Can Start Today?

Brushing and flossing is something we’ve been reminded to do since we were children — and something that many of us, once our parents were no longer nagging, stopped doing. However, brushing AND flossing is crucial to keeping our teeth healthy. Brushing only gets 75% of the plaque and bacteria off our teeth — flossing gets the other 25%. Using mouthwash can also help keep your teeth healthy.

You should also be seeing your dentist at least once a year — twice a year is even better. Your dentist can monitor your mouth and jaw health. Inspecting your gums, teeth, and jaw regularly can help ward off any problems coming down — for example, if you grind your teeth at night, your dentist might prescribe a mouthguard to wear at night to protect your teeth. He or she might be able to see your wisdom teeth coming in and can advise you to get them removed before they start really causing problems.

Avoiding overly sugary foods or food or beverages that stain your teeth can also help. (And if you can’t quite give those up, be mindful of brushing your teeth if possible afterwards.) Coffee, tea, and wine, for example, are all liquids that can stain our teeth.

How Will Taking Care of My Teeth Help Me?

If you take care of your teeth starting at an early age, there’s a good chance you’ll have all of your teeth when you’re older. You won’t have to worry about potentially costly dental procedures, the hassle of dental implants or dentures, and will still have “your” smile.

You may also feel more confident and attractive when you have nice teeth. Being able to smile freely and not worry about gaps, uneven or discolored teeth, can make a huge difference.

Taking care of your teeth can also reduce your risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, stroke, or high blood pressure. Interestingly, our dental health is related to our heart health. It can also in some cases, reduce your oral pain — if you have bad teeth, chewing might be painful for you or any cuts or scrapes on your gums might take longer to heal.

Prioritize your dental health today and check in with your dentist for a healthier, whiter, and more radiant smile.

Tom Pultney

Tom Pultney

If you’re anything like the average person out there, the words “root canal” are enough to make you cringe, and just thinking about the sound of a dentist drill sends a shiver down your spine. Did you know that the best dental hygiene can keep the drill out of your mouth? I’m Tom Pultney, hygienist and president of the Dental Hygiene Association. Like anyone in the medical profession, I wish as much as anyone else we didn’t have to do what we do, and everyone’s teeth were perfect, straight and bright. But the reality is, that won’t happen without keeping up on your dental hygiene, and whether you need a dentist for your annual cleaning, or for some dental work, we’ve got info on the best dentists around the US.
Tom Pultney

Latest posts by Tom Pultney (see all)

Leave a Reply